Get Quotes from Top Contractors in Reno, NV

How to Verify a Professional's License in Reno?

When retaining the services of professionals in Reno, you must verify the validity of the professional's license. Professionals practicing in the city are issued occupational licenses by one of the 36 professional licensing boards in the State of Nevada. These licensing boards provide resources that enable you to authenticate that the professionals duly obtained their licenses. For instance, you can verify the license of Reno building-related professionals like construction contractors you intend to employ via the online license search tool maintained by the Nevada State Contractors Board.

In addition to verifying a Reno professional's license, you must also ensure that you obtain all permits necessary for your project. Depending on the type of project you are embarking on, you may be required to obtain permits like building permits, planning permits, electrical permits, and plumbing permits. Reno permits can be obtained from the Building Permits Office of the city's Community Development Department, and you can contact this office at 775-334-2063 or via email for questions relating to its permit issuing process.

Nevada Contractor License Search:

Do Reno Neighborhood Councils
Issue Permits?

No, Reno's Neighborhood Advisory Boards are not authorized to issue permits to residents and other interested parties in the city. However, these advisory boards allow members of the community to learn about developmental issues happening within their respective communities. Through these advisory boards meetings, members of the communities engage in proposed projects which gives them an opportunity to review and provide necessary feedback. Reno has five city council wards, and each of these wards has a Neighborhood Advisory Board representative. You can use the city's online calendar to find out about your neighborhood meeting days and location. The Neighborhood Advisory Boards also make room for the general members of their communities to submit applications for developmental projects that improve the quality of life for residents of Reno. For example, an application was made through the Ward 1 board for a minor conditional use permit to allow a 24 unit multifamily project in the general commercial zoning district on the southwest corner of West 2nd Street and Arletta Street. A similar request was made through the Ward 3 board to allow a minor conditional use permit of a 40 unit multi-family development in the General Commercial/ Wells Avenue Mixed-Use (GC/WAMU) zone on the northeast corner of Holcomb Avenue and Vesta Street.

How to File an Unfair Business
Complaint in Reno?

Complaints concerning fraud or unfair business practices in Reno are reviewed and investigated by the Nevada Attorney General's Office. You can file these reports by completing the online Electronic Consumer Complaint form provided by this office. The Constituent Services Unit of the Attorney General's Office also makes available a paper complaint form that can be gotten by sending an email to the unit with the subject line indicating "Requesting Paper Complaint." This form comes with instructions you can follow to ensure that your complaints are appropriately filed. You can also contact the Bureau of Consumer Protection hotline at (702) 486-3132 for further relevant instructions.

Alternatively, you can request the paper complaint form in person by visiting the Nevada Attorney General's Office at:

  • Office of the Attorney General
  • 5420 Kietzke Lane, Suite 202
  • Reno, NV 89511

You can also file a complaint with the Reno Police Department if you allege criminal misconduct or fraud. Even though the Nevada Attorney General's Office and the city's Police Department can prosecute the subject of your complaint, these offices cannot represent you in personal legal matters where you seek damages or any other personal remedies. Therefore, if you intend to seek restitution, you should employ the services of a private lawyer. You can make use of the Washoe Legal Services of the Washoe Bar Association to get referrals on qualified lawyers near you. However, if the amount in contention is not more than $10,000, you can file a small claims action at the Reno Justice Court without a lawyer. Note that even though you don't need a lawyer in your small claims action, you should not foreclose getting legal advice before instituting this action. You can utilize the Nevada Civil Law Self Help Center to access resources that can help when filing your small claims action.